Additional mental health and wellbeing support

This page provides an introduction to how and where you can get mental health and wellbeing help. This includes through Pharmacist Support, the NHS, and other charities and organisations.

You don’t have to cope alone

Self-help has helped lots of pharmacists. However, for many people who are struggling with their wellbeing and mental health, accessing support can be really important.

Wellbeing and mental health help can include emotional support, counselling, support groups, coaching and many other things. It may be  focused on your work as a pharmacist, your personal life, or a mix. Some support is tailored for health professionals and other support is more general.

This page provides information about where you can find mental health and wellbeing support. The support options outside of Pharmacist Support may also be available to members of the pharmacy team who are not eligible for our services. 

How can I get help?

There are different ways pharmacists can get help for their mental health and wellbeing.

For example, if you feel you may benefit from a diagnosis and treatment, you may wish to speak to your NHS GP. Or if you would prefer to seek this type of help outside the NHS, you could look into private medical help through a doctor or psychiatrist.

Many people are more interested in seeking support for how they are feeling rather than accessing a diagnosis or medical treatment. Some of these options may be available for free, low cost, or to pay for through charities such as Pharmacist Support, others may be available to pay for privately.

Where can I get help?

Below we have listed a few key places where pharmacists, pharmacy students and trainees may be able to access wellbeing and mental health support. This is not an exhaustive list and we may add to this as our website develops. Some services may only be available to specific pharmacy sectors or countries.

Pharmacist Support

In addition to our wellbeing workshops, we currently offer three direct wellbeing support services that have helped many pharmacists, pharmacy students and trainee pharmacists. Details of these services are below.

Counselling (for psychological and emotional support)

We are able to provide direct psychological support for those who are experiencing mental health issues. These sessions are available through our counselling partnership.

The counsellors are there to help you deal with a variety of issues. By seeking constructive help, you may identify ways of addressing the root causes of your concerns in order to help you to cope.

You can access counselling by filling in a self-referral form.

Click here for more information on counselling and to access the self-referral form.

Listening Friends (for peer support)

Our Listening Friends service offers you the choice of speaking in confidence and anonymously to one of our trained volunteer pharmacists. The peer support provides you with an opportunity to to talk to a pharmacist trained in listening skills about any stresses or pressure you may be feeling. Our volunteers do not provide advice, but will offer you the time and space to talk through those issues to try to find clarity.

Click here for more information on Listening Friends and how to request a call.

 Addiction Support

 We provide addiction support to individuals experiencing problems with alcohol, drugs, gambling, eating disorders or other types of dependency. Our Addiction Support service also helps family members and others supporting someone with addiction.

Click here for more information on our Addiction Support service and the contact details.

Please note our wellbeing support services cannot provide emergency support. Should you require urgent assistance, we recommend you contact the Samaritans, your GP or visit your local A&E department. Our wellbeing services are not a replacement for speaking with your GP if you have any concerns about your health.


GP and NHS

There are different ways you may be able to access mental health support including counselling through the NHS . Support may be accessed through your GP or by self-referral. We have listed some options below.

If you are struggling with your mental health or want to speak about mental health support, speaking with your GP can be a great first step. If you have lots to talk about you may wish to ask for a longer or double appointment when booking to see your GP.

In England, another way you may be able to access NHS counselling is through self-referral. This is often done through the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme. You can begin the process of self-referral to see if a local IAPT service can help you on the NHS website. 

In Wales, people aged 16 and over experiencing mild to moderate anxiety, depression or stress can sign-up for a free 12-week course of online therapy through the online therapy platform SilverCloud. For more information see the NHS Wales website.

The Living Life service in Scotland offers phone support using cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) based techniques. For more information on the service and how to self-refer for an assessment see the NHS 24 website.

Employee Assistance Programmes (EAPs)

Many employees can access free wellbeing support through their employer. This could include emotional support or counselling through an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). 


Student wellbeing support through universities

Universities have a range of services to support student wellbeing. This differs from university to university. The best place to start will often be your university’s website. The charity Student Minds also has some information on where students can get help.  


Healthcare staff wellbeing support (available also for trainees)


  • The NHS confidential text support service provide by Shout is there for when you’ve had a tough day, are feeling worried or overwhelmed, or maybe you have a lot on your mind and need to talk it through. It is free to access by texting FRONTLINE to 85258 for support 24/7.  
  • Local NHS hubs provide mental health support to health care staff. The hubs are available for NHS staff, including those who are contracted to deliver NHS services, such as community pharmacists.  



  • Pharmacists and other healthcare staff in Scotland can seek support through the National Wellbeing Hub. To find out more you can contact the health and social care NHS 24 operated workforce mental wellbeing support line 24/7 on 0800 111 4191. 


General wellbeing and mental health support

All of Great Britain  


  • To access emotional support by talking to someone about how you feel, you can contact the Samaritans 24/7 on 116 123 or by emailing 

England and Wales


  • The charity Mind has lots of information and support for people who are looking to improve their mental health.  Local Minds are independent charities, so services offered can vary depending on the area. You can search to see if there is a local Mind near to you by clicking here.  


Scottish Association for Mental Health (SAMH)


Private wellbeing support

If you can afford it, there may be some great paid options. Benefits of private support or treatment can include not having to go through the NHS, which can mean quicker access and more specialist support. Although we cannot recommend one service over another, you can find a counsellor, therapist, or coach through professional bodies, such as: 

This page was last reviewed and updated in February 2024. 

Further wellbeing information

Further wellbeing information


If you would benefit from professional psychological support, we offer a confidential counselling service. You can access counselling sessions via phone, Zoom or for those within travelling distance to Altrincham, face to face.

Further wellbeing information


Most people experience feelings of anxiety at some points in their life and is not uncommon. This page provides information about anxiety and where you can find support.

Further wellbeing information

Exploring the five ways to wellbeing

On this page you can find the definition of the five ways to wellbeing. As well as a self-study module with ideas on how you can implement them into your life to help manage your own mental wellbeing.