Counselling and Peer Support

Our Counselling and Peer Support service is for those seeking a safe, confidential place to talk about professional or emotional issues or worries.

Pharmacist Support has a range of support available to help manage your mental health and wellbeing. There are proactive wellbeing resources available on our website. 

Access online resources now


If you need more emotional support, on this page you can find information about the services we offer, alongside other support you may be able to access. Our services are confidential and open to our pharmacy family which includes pharmacists, trainees and Mpharm students. Click here to find out more about our eligibility.

Counselling (for psychological and emotional support)

If you would benefit from professional psychological support, we offer a confidential counselling service. Since we launched this service in 2021, our counselling provider has developed a deep understanding of the issues facing pharmacists and we are pleased to report much shorter waiting times to see counsellors via our counselling partnership than through many other routes.

The counsellors are there to help you deal with a variety of issues. By seeking constructive help, you may identify ways of addressing the root causes of your concerns in order to help you to cope. 

More counselling information


Listening Friends (for peer support)

Our Listening Friends service offers you the choice of speaking in confidence and anonymously to one of our trained volunteer pharmacists. This peer support provides pharmacists and their families, former pharmacists, trainee pharmacists and pharmacy students with an opportunity to talk to a pharmacist trained in listening skills about any stresses or pressure you may be feeling. Our volunteers do not provide advice, but they will offer you the time and space to talk through those issues to try to find clarity. They can also sign post you to our Information and Enquiries Team for further specialised help and support.

Listening Friends peer support is intended to be over a short term. If you feel you need longer-term assistance or help for more complex issues relating to your mental health, please have a look at our counselling service as this may be a better fit for you.

More Listening Friends information

Addiction Peer Support

If you’re struggling with an addiction and are uncertain about contacting the Addiction Support helpline, you may find it easier to first speak with one of our trained pharmacist volunteers through our Addiction Peer Support service.

More Addiction Peer Support information


Other support available

You may be able to access emotional support through other avenues, for example: your employer, your university, or through the NHS. Please click here to find out what other support may be available for you. If you need help in other areas such as financial or addiction support, please take a look at our other Support Services or contact our Information & Enquiries team

Urgent help

Please note this is not an emergency service. If you have seriously harmed yourself – call 999 for an ambulance or go straight to A&E. If you are suffering a mental health emergency you can get help via A&E or by contacting your GP for an emergency appointment. If you are feeling suicidal, immediately contact emergency services or a helpline listed here on the NHS website. 

Any personal information you provide to the charity when applying for our services will be held securely by us and our trusted service providers. Please click here to see our full Privacy Policy

Further support

Further support


If you would benefit from professional psychological support, we offer a confidential counselling service. You can access counselling sessions via phone, Zoom or for those within travelling distance to Altrincham, face to face.

Further support

Listening Friends

Listening Friends is a free and confidential helpline staffed by trained volunteer pharmacists who provide a listening ear to fellow pharmacists and pharmacy students struggling with stress, or simply in need of a sympathetic, non-judgemental person to talk to.

Further support

Additional mental health and wellbeing support

This page provides an introduction to how and where you can get mental health and wellbeing help. This includes through Pharmacist Support, the NHS, and other charities and organisations.