Finding funding

If you are a pharmacist, trainee or pharmacy student and are experiencing hardship, we may be able to provide you with financial assistance towards essential expenditure. We've also compiled a list of alternative sources for funding.

Rising costs from rent and mortgages, and from energy to food, have left many people struggling to cope financially. There are many organisations that can help you to get through this difficult time.

Grants for unexpected hardship from Pharmacist Support

These are grants for pharmacists, former pharmacists, and their dependents (please read the eligibility criteria and guidance notes for clarification).

Help with a specific one-off cost, for example, an unexpected winter fuel bill or essential minor household repair. Assistance to support mental or physical quality of life, for example, for respite care, therapy or the purchase of an aid or adaptation. Support for people struggling to manage on a very low income, for example, a top up towards care home fees or help for a pharmacist unable to work because of serious illness.

Grants for MPharm and OSPAP students 

Students can apply for a grant of up to £1,500 per academic year. You must be able to demonstrate that you’re experiencing unexpected hardship, during the academic year, due to unforeseen circumstances, such as ill health, bereavement, or sudden loss of income through no fault of your own. Payments cannot be made towards tuition fees.

Find out more about funding for students

Grants for trainees

Trainees facing unexpected hardship can apply for up to £3,000 during their GPhC approved placement, or whilst waiting to sit the assessment (evidence of application to sit is required).

Go to the online grants portal

How we can help with debt and benefits

Through our partnership with Citizens Advice Manchester, we can refer you to a specially trained adviser for confidential advice in the areas of benefits and tax credits and managing debt.

Examples of typical support include:

  • help with managing debts, including negotiating with creditors to reschedule payments.
  • benefits advice, to check entitlement, ensure you are receiving the correct amount of benefits and tax credits and provide help with completing forms.

To access this support please contact us by e-mailing

Find out more about managing your money

Boots Benevolent Fund

The Boots Benevolent Fund is a registered charity offering support to eligible current and former Boots colleagues (dispensers, technicians and pharmacists) in the UK, as well as their immediate relatives and dependants experiencing financial hardship.

The Fund can help with: arrears (utilities, rent, council tax), funeral expenses, essential medical aids, essential white goods and furniture, essential living expenses, bankruptcy and debt relief order fees, rent and deposit if homeless, car repairs in remote locations.

Contact the Fund via Telus Health by calling 0800 077 8316 or by calling directly on 0115 959 5166
or email

Please note that locums who have worked for Boots are not eligible to apply.

National Zakat Foundation

For those experiencing financial difficulty and who, for religious reasons, do not apply for a loan or other financial help that may accrue interest it may help to explore financial support from the National Zakat Foundation. For more information visit the website.

British Gas Energy Trust

British Gas Energy Trust is an independent Charitable Trust funded by British Gas.

Both British Gas customers and non-customers can apply for grants to clear domestic gas and electricity debts owed to British Gas or other suppliers. In addition, British Gas Energy Trust provides local budgets to a number of Funded Organisations to provide help including:

  • Emergency fuel top-ups for prepayment meters
  • Home energy efficiency assessments
  • Boiler repairs / replacements
  • Energy efficiency measures
  • Emergency heating sources
  • Bankruptcy / DRO costs

Find out more about the British Gas Energy Trust here.

Find out more about help with energy costs

Macmillan Grants

Macmillan Grants offer a one-off payment of £350 to help with the extra costs that living with cancer can bring. They can be used to help with things like:

  • energy bills
  • home adaptions
  • cost of travel to and from hospital
  • any extra costs you might be experiencing due to your cancer diagnosis.

Find out more about applying for a Macmillan Grant here.

The Retail Trust

The Retail Trust was established in 1832 and helps people who are or have worked in retail. If you’re experiencing financial difficulties, worried about money because of a health condition (yours or a family member) or have an unexpected change in circumstances they may be able to help financially. Find out more about the Retail Trust here.


GroceryAid is a charity that can provide financial grants to people who work or have worked in the grocery industry; these grants do not have to be paid back. So, if you have ever worked in a pharmacy within a supermarket, you may be able to get some help. For further information, see the GroceryAid website.

The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust

This is a Trust that provides grants to undergraduate students who are children, spouses, widows or widowers of pharmacists that are or were registered with the GPhC. The grant is to support students with any reasonable costs whilst doing a first degree in any discipline. For further information, see the Trust website.

Turn2us grants search engine

Turn2us also have a grants search tool. This is easy to use and all that is needed is a postcode, age and gender. The search engine will then bring up a full list of grants that you might be able to apply for. The search can be refined by selecting key words, such as occupation and medical conditions. For further information, see the Turn2us website.

Health Care Workers Foundation

This charity offers financial aid, counselling, staff room refurbishments and bereaved families support to anyone working in a healthcare setting. Find out more about how they can help you here.

The Care Professionals Benevolent Fund (CPBF)

The CPBF is the registered charity for the Care Sector. They offer support to current, former and retired care professionals, by providing assistance to relieve financial hardship or sickness. If you have ever worked in a care home setting this charity may be able to help you. For further details, visit their website.

This webpage was updated in April 2024.

How we can help

Pharmacist Support is an entirely independent organisation and access to our services is completely confidential.

COVID 19: Financial Assistance & Advice

If you are currently experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID19, please take a look at the information we have gathered to support you.

How we’ve helped others

Assistance from Pharmacist Support can come in many different ways to suit the needs of the individual. Take a look at our case studies to see how we've supported your colleagues and peers in need.