Pharmacist Support is an entirely independent organisation and access to our services is completely confidential.
It is important to ACT now:
- Allow time for wellbeing
- Consider the needs of your colleagues
- Take action.
Allow time for wellbeing
Don’t forget about wellbeing, it may seem like an odd time to prioritise this, but it is crucial. The five-way to wellbeing are:
- Take notice – be in the present, take note of things around you.
- Be active – being more active, enjoying the outdoors and having a healthy, balanced diet can improve how we feel.
- Connect – social relationships are key to promoting good wellbeing.
- Keep learning – do something for yourself and take time to learn something new.
- Give – giving makes us feel good. This could be as simple as saying thank you.
Even though you will be busy, it’s important that you get regular breaks. When you are on a break, try to get outside, get some fresh air and be active by taking a walk. Take in some ‘easy to eat’ snacks and drinks.
Consider the needs of your colleagues
Communication is key, check in on colleagues and make sure they are coping. Encourage your colleagues to leave the pharmacy during their lunch breaks so that they get away from the stressful environment. Keep your eye on all members of staff for signs of physical and mental exhaustion. Consider playing some soothing music if appropriate and remember small acts of kindness can go a long way.
- Ensure that safe social distancing is being practiced. Limit the number of patients allowed into your pharmacy at any given time and ensure that patients stand a safe distance apart.
- Ensure that you have a suitable isolation space prepared in case a patient comes into your pharmacy with symptoms of the virus.
- Make sure that public information posters are within easy view of patients.
- Reach out to organisations in the profession who are there to help both professionally and personally. See our covid-19 signposting sheet for more details of support out there in the profession.