Are you looking for support and advice? The organisations listed below can help in a variety of ways.

If you know of any additional organisations you’d like to see listed here, then please email : with your suggestions.

Addiction Support

Al-Anon Family Groups

Al-Anon provides support to anyone who is or has been affected by someone else’s drinking. There are over 800 Al-Anon Family Groups in the UK and Republic of Ireland and these groups hold regular meeetings where members share their experiences and give each other help and support. Alateen, a part of Al-Anon, provides meetings for teenage relatives and friends affected by someone else’s drinking. A large selection of publications is available.

Alcohol Concern

Alcohol Concern campaigns for effective alcohol policy and to increase the range and quality of services available to people with alcohol-related problems. A range of booklets are available for people worried about drinking and the website has links to services offering advice and counselling.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous is a charitable self-help group for all members to share their experiences in a confidential environment for the mutual benefit of overcoming alcoholism    


Drinkaware is an independent UK alcohol awareness charity that provides information about the effects of alcohol on lives and lifestyles. They have education programmes, expert information and resources to help create awareness around alcohol addiction and related health issues.


Drinkline offers help to callers worried about their own drinking, suppport to the family and friends of people who are drinking, advice to callers on where to go for help and information and self-help materials.

Families Anonymous

Families Anonymous aims to help the family and friends of people with a current, suspected or former drug problem. Groups meet regularly to provide mutual support and share experiences and anxieties. A free information pack, including details of all meetings, is sent to every enquirer that contacts the FA helpline. A number of booklets, leaflets, CDs, DVDs, posters and other materials are also available.


Gam-Anon offers support to those who have been affected by another person’s gambling. It is made up of men and women who have partners, relatives or close friends who have been affected by problem gambling.

Gamblers Anonymous

Gamblers Anonymous offers support to problem gamblers. It is made up of men and women who have experienced gambling problems themselves. Services include meetings, chat rooms and forums.

Narcotics Anonymous

Membership of Narcotics Anonymous is open to anyone with a drug problem who wishes to stop using drugs. Members meet regularly to provide support and share experiences. There is a helpline for people needing support and advice about the nature of drug addiction. An enormous range of literature on the subject of recovery is available at NA meetings.

National Drugs Helpline

The National Drugs Helpline, also known as Talk to Frank provides a website and telephone helpline offering advice, information and support to anyone concerned about drugs and solvent/volatile substance misuse, including drug misusers, their families, friends and carers. Free printed publications are available.


An independent charity that aims to significantly reduce unnecessary suffering and death from smoking-related diseases, and aims towards a smoke-free UK future. The charity provides practical help, advice and support to all smokers who want to stop. There are a number of Quit publications and resources available.


Release is the national centre of expertise on drugs and drugs law. Release offer a free and confidential advice line, drugs line and a legal helpline.


Carers Trust

Carers Trust is a charity that offers information, advice and practical support to carers across the UK.

Carers UK

This organisation runs the CarersLine, which offers information and advice on topics such as Social Services assessment of carers’ needs, help for the person they care for and state benefits which carers may be able to claim.

First Stop

First Stop aims to provide clear and independent information and advice on care and housing for older people.  It is led by the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) working in partnership with other national and local organistations. There is information on the website including directories of care homes and home services as well as fact sheets and Frequently Asked Questions.  There is also an Advice line.

Independent Age

Independent Age is a charity providing advice and information on a range of issues relating to care homes and community care, including finding and paying for care, benefits and hospital discharge. The website has a range of guides and factsheets and there is an advice service available via email or telephone.

Tourism for All

Tourism for All is a charity that provides holiday and travel information for disabled people and their carers. It can help with information on accessible accommodation, visitor attractions, transport, activity holidays for people with children with disabilities, respite care establishments, sources of holiday funding and accessible overseas destinations

United Kingdom Home Care Association (UKHCA)

The United Kingdom Home Care Association (UKHCA) is the professional association of providers of personal care, including nursing care, to people in their own homes. A leaflet "Choosing care in your home" can be downloaded from the UKHCA website. The website also has a list of homecare agencies who are members of UKHCA.

Consumer information

British and Irish Ombudsman Association

Ombudsmen are an independent and impartial means of resolving certain disputes outside the courts. They cover various public and private bodies and look into matters after a complaint has been made to the relevant body. If you have a complaint this site lists the ombudsmen and other complaint-handling bodies who may be able to help you.

Energy Helpline

Energy Helpline is an independent gas and electricity watchdog whose mission is to get the best deal for energy consumers. It provides free and impartial advice and even takes up your case if you feel you’re being treated unfairly by your gas or electricity supplier. If you’re having problems with your gas or electricity company, get in touch.

Energy Supply Ombudsman

This is an independent body that resolves disputes between a customer and their energy supplier associated with billing and transfer issues. Ombudsmen are an independent and impartial means of resolving disputes outside the courts.

Local Government Ombudsmen

The Local Government Ombudsmen investigate complaints about councils and certain other bodies. They investigate complaints about most council matters including housing, planning, education and social services. It is an independent, impartial and free service.


Ofcom is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless communications services.

Trading Standards Central

Supported and maintained by the Trading Standards Institute, this website is a one-stop shop for consumer protection information in the UK. It provides a wealth of information for consumers and businesses, schools, advice and information centres, community organisations, local councils, business support agencies and trade associations. It also includes product recall information.


Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse helps and supports anyone who has been bereaved, providing advice, counselling and information on practical matters entirely free of charge.


Relate offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support, both face to face, over the telephone and via the website. Services are provided all over England, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you live in Scotland, please see separate entry under Relationships Scotland.


The Samaritans offer emotional support to anyone in the UK and Ireland who is feeling depressed or suicidal, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every call is confidential. The service is offered by telephone, email, letter and face to face in most branches.

Debt Advice

Debt Advice Foundation

Debt Advice Foundation is a charity providing free and confidential debt advice.  Callers can contact them on their helpline.

Money Advice Service (MAS)

MAS offer free and independent advice on managing money.The website offers useful tools such as a budget planner to help you identify where you might cut back on spending or ways to make your money go further.

National Debtline

This helpline provides free, confidential and independent advice for people in England, Wales and Scotland on how to deal with debt problems.


Payplan is a debt management company that provides a free debt management service. It is independent and is funded by the credit industry. Having assessed the financial situation of the person, Payplan will approach creditors with a suggested repayment plan. Once a repayment plan is agreed, the person will make one monthly payment to Payplan who will then pay each of the creditors.

StepChange Debt Charity

The StepChange Debt Charity is a registered charity providing free, confidential advice and support to anyone worried about debt.

Disabled people's organisations

Dial UK

A national organisation for a network of approximately 120 local Disability Information and Advice Line services (DIALs) run by and for disabled people. DIAL information and advice services are based throughout the UK and provide information and advice to disabled people and others on all aspects of living with a disability.

Royal National Institute of Blind People

The RNIB offers information, support and advice to over two million people with sight loss. It provides specialist services including transcription services, Braille and talking books and a range of products to help people continue to live independently.


Scope is a national disability organisation whose focus is people with cerebral palsy. The free confidential helpline offers information and initial counselling on cerebral palsy and a range of disability issues including health, employment, education, leisure and personal problems.


ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Mediation Service)

ACAS provides information, advice and guidance to employers and employees with the aim of improving organisations and working life through better employment relations.  Information on the website covers a huge range of employment issues, from absence and bullying to whistleblowing and working hours. There is a helpline providing independent, confidential and impartial advice to both employers and employees.

National Whistleblowing Helpline

The National Whistleblowing Helpline offers free, confidential advice to anybody working within the NHS. The Helpline is not a disclosure line but it provides free advice and guidance to someone considering blowing the whistle.

Public Concern at Work (Whistleblowing)

Public Concern at Work is a charity providing help and advice on whistleblowing.  They offer free and confidential advice to people concerned about crime, danger or wrongdoing at work.   They also provide help and guidance to organisations to enable them to deliver and demonstrate good governance.  There is a helpline for individuals who would like to talk to someone about raising an issue they are concerned about at work.  Alternatively enquirers can also email them.


Citizens Advice

This service provides independent, practical, up-to-date information on a wide range of topics, including benefits and housing, employment rights and discrimination, debt and tax issues as well as a wide selection of fact sheets.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

The Equality and Human Rights Commission champions equality and human rights for all, working to eliminate discrimination, reduce inequality, protect human rights and build good relations, ensuring that everyone has a fair chance to participate in society. The website has a wealth of information, advice and guidance on rights and responsibilities and good practice. There is an Equality Advisory Suppport Service helpline which can provide advice and information.    

Government Information

Department of Health UK

This department provides health and social care policy, guidance and publications with the aim of improve the health and wellbeing of the people.

NHS England

The official website of the NHS England

NHS Scotland

The official website of the NHS Scotland.

NHS Wales

The official website of the NHS Wales

Parliament – UK

The official website of the United Kingdom Houses of Parliament.

Health Organisations

Action against medical accidents (AvMA)

Action against medical accidents (AvMA) is  a charity providing free, independent advice and information to people who have been affected by a medical accident. They have a team of medically and legally trained caseworkers who can advise people on their rights, give medical information or explanation, help get issues investigated, assess the potential for claiming compensation and refer on to an appropriate solicitor.

Alzheimer’s Society

The leading care and research charity for people with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, their families and carers. It provides helplines and support for carers, runs quality day and home care, funds medical and scientific research and gives financial help to families in need.

Arthritis Care

Arthritis Care provides a helpline service offering confidential support and information about arthritis. It runs a range of personal development training courses for people of all ages with arthritis, and also a programme of self-management courses to assist the move from dependence to independence. Produces a range of helpful publications.


BackCare helps people manage and prevent back pain by providing advice, promoting self-help, encouraging debate and funding scientific research into better back care.

BEAT: eating disorders association

BEAT offers information, help and support for people affected by eating disorders and, in particular, anorexia and bulimia nervosa. It also provides a UK-wide network of local self-help and support groups, postal and telephone contacts, a list of treatments available in your area and a comprehensive range of information, including leaflets for young people.

Breast Cancer Care

Breast Cancer Care are a charity who provide care, information and support to people who are affected by breast cancer. Services include a telephone helpline, local support groups and an on-line forum.

British Allergy Foundation

This Foundation was formed by a group of leading specialists determined to improve the awareness, prevention and treatment of allergy. It has a comprehensive range of information leaflets and literature, offering advice on lifestyle, avoidance measures and treatment advice on a wide range of allergies.

British Epilepsy Association

Epilepsy Action, the working name of the BEA, offers advice and information over the telephone free of charge for UK residents.

Headway – the brain injury association

Headway promotes the understanding of all aspects of head injury and provides information, support and services to people with head injury, their families and carers.

Leukaemia Care Society

This society provides a network of volunteers for understanding and friendship when coming to terms with leukaemia or an allied blood disorder. It can also provide discretionary financial assistance if the patient is the main provider for the family.

Macmillan Cancer Relief

Macmillan Cancer Relief works to raise standards in cancer care and treatment and offers support and advice to people living with cancer.

Men get eating disorders too (MGEDT)

MGEDT is a charity run by men for me. Services include on-line forums and support groups and one-to-one live chat sessions.


Mind is the leading mental health charity in the UK and has been in existence for over fifty years. It is a campaigning organisation providing advice and information

Motor Neurone Disease Association

This is a voluntary organisation and registered charity which aims to ensure that every single person affected by MND can secure the care and support they need. It also promotes research into effective treatment and a cure for MND. The range of services includes regional care advisers, local branch network and volunteer visitors, equipment loan, financial support and information.

Multiple Sclerosis Society

This society is dedicated to supporting people with MS and securing the care they need in their everyday lives. Its services are as diverse as the complexity of the disease, embracing respite and day care, physical therapies, financial support, counselling, advocacy and campaigning, training and, above all, information.

National Asthma Campaign

This independent UK charity is dedicated to conquering asthma and improving the quality of life for people with asthma today and in the future. It combines research, education and support and works in partnership with people with asthma and all who share their concerns.

National Autistic Society

This society runs education and adult centres and publishes a range of books, leaflets and journals. It works to improve awareness of autism, offers specialist diagnosis and assessment services, and provides volunteer schemes to support parents. It also encourages research into the causes of autism and supports local groups and families around the country.

NHS 111

NHS 111 delivers telephone and e-health information services day and night direct to the public. NHS 111 is the number to call when you have an urgent healthcare need.

No Panic

Support for sufferers of panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, general anxiety disorder and tranquiliser withdrawal.

Parkinsons UK

The mission of this society is the conquest of Parkinson’s Disease and the alleviation of the suffering and distress it causes, through effective research, education, welfare and communication. The society provides vital support, advice and information, and funds for research.


Rethink provides expert advice and information to anybody affected by mental health problems. They also have support groups across England.

Stroke Association

The Stroke Association provides practical support for people who have had strokes, their families and carers. It campaigns, educates and informs to increase knowledge of stroke at all levels of society and also runs an Information and Education Service across England and Wales.

Terrence Higgins Trust

The Terrence Higgins Trust is the leading HIV & AIDS charity in the UK. It supports individuals through counselling, advocacy, advice centre, helpline, health education and buddying.

The British Dyslexia Association

The British Dyslexia Association is a charity offering advice, information and help to dyslexia people, their families and the professionals who support them.

Therapy Directory

If you are interested in seeking alternative and complementary therapies such as acupuncture and aromatherapy, or would like to find out more about alternative treatments, the Therapy Directory allows you to search for a therapist near you, and also provides information about the range of therapies available.

Work Life

Work Life is a website with information for people with chronic fluctuating health conditions, for example, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, arthritis,  HIV and AIDS,  cancer and Parkinson’s who are trying to stay in work or find work. Separate sections for employees, employers and health and work professionals cover what are the issues and who can help, rights and responsibilities and living well with a chronic disease. There are also sections on particular health conditions with information on living and working with those conditions and factsheets for employers.



Foundations is a national body for home improvement agency services and handy person services in England. A home improvement agency can help home owners and private sector tenants who are elderly, disabled or on a low income to repair, maintain or adapt their home.

Homeless UK

Homeless UK provides information on over 9,000 services such as hostels and day centres for people who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless.

Newdawn Foundation

Newdawn Foundation is a non-profit organisation that provides free housing advice and options to homeless people in London and other areas.


Shelter is a charity working to alleviate the distress caused by homelessness and bad housing. It provides a free housing advice helpline and the website has a range of information and advice on housing issues. The website also has a directory of local advice centres where people can get help in person.


Refugee Council England

Refugee Council England offers free advice and support to all refugees and asylum seekers in England. The service includes advice on social security benefits, housing, immigration and education.

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) is responsible for regulating immigration advisers by ensuring they are fit and competent and act in the best interest of their clients. If you are looking for immigration advice you can visit their website which contains details on how to find and choose a regulated adviser. They have  a list of not for profit regulated immigration advisers and also a register of advisers who charge clients for their services.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

UKCISA is the national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them. Services include information about student fees and finance, visas and immigration.

UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group (UKLGIG)

UKLesbian and Gay Immigration Group is a support and campaign group for lesbians and gays with immigration problems which they would not face if they were heterosexual.

Mental Health Organisations

Mental Health Foundation

A charity that aims to reduce the suffering caused by mental ill health

NHS Staff

Pharmacist Organisations

Association of Pharmacy Technicians UK (APTUK)

The Association of Pharmacy Technicians UK (APTUK) is a professional and representative organisation for pharmacy technicians. It aims to ensure and improve professional, educational and practice standards for registered pharmacy technicians in all healthcare and pharmaceutical organisations. Services to membes include a journal, website with members only forum, networking opportunities, an annual study weekend, study days, local branch meetings, CPD support and information and access to advice on educational and professional issues. 1 Victoria Square Birmingham B1 1BD

British Pharmaceutical Students’ Association (BPSA)

The British Pharmaceutical Students’ Association (BPSA) is the official student organisation of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS). It aims to promote the interests and welfare of pharmacy students and preregistration trainees. It organises a range of events and runs a Professional Development Certificate scheme. 1 Lambeth High Street London SW1 7JN

Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists (GHP)

The Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists (GHP) is an organisation providing support to individual employed pharmacists in the UK working in hospitals, primary care and other healthcare institutions for the NHS and commercial healthcare providers. Services include support to members on employment and practice related issues, negotiation, through the NHS Staff Council, of the pay, terms and conditions of NHS employed pharmacists, promotion and support of innovation and advancement of pharmacy practice throughout the NHS including provision of education and development.

National Pharmacy Association (NPA)

The National Pharmacy Association (NPA) is the trade association for the UK’s community pharmacy owners and has virtually all community pharmacies in membership. The association provides its members with professional and commercial support, including legal advice, insurance, legal defence and indemnity, financial services, publications, training and information. In addtion, the NPA represents the interests of community pharmacy to government both at a national and European level. The NPA is headed by a chief executive and an elected board comprising member representatives of community pharmacy from across the United Kingdom. Mallinson House 38-42 St Peter’s Street St Albans Hertfordshire AL1 3NP

Pharmacists Defence Association (PDA)

The Pharmacists Defence Association (PDA) provides support to individual pharmacists. It gives legal and professional support to members in employment disputes, professional disciplinary investigations and criminal proceedings. Legal defence costs insurance and professional indemnity insurance are also part of the benefits of membership. A wide range of information and guidance is available on the PDA’s website, with a members only information area and an advisory service for members providing 24 hour access to legal advisers for emergencies, and daytime access to experienced pharmacists and specialist lawyers for pharmacy-related issues. The association also seeks to influence government policy and the professional agenda for the benefit of individual pharmacists. Further information is available on the PDA’s website. The Old Fire Station 69 Albion Street Birmingham B1 3EA

Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS)

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) is the professional body for pharmacists in England, Wales and Scotland.  The Society provides services to its members, including support and information on professional issues such as continuing professional development (CPD), practice issues, career development, science and research.   Further information is available on the Society’s website. English Office: 1 Lambeth High Street, London, SE1 7JN Scottish Office: Holyrood Park House, 106 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, EH8 8AS Welsh Office: Unit 2 Ashtree Court, Woodsey Close, Cardiff Gate Business Park, Cardiff CF23 8RW

United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association (UKCPA)

The United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association (UKCPA) promotes expert practice in medicines management for the benefit of patients, the public and members by establishing standards, workforce development and advancing innovation in all healthcare settings. Membership is targeted at pharmacists, technicians and other healthcare professionals providing clinical services to patients. The association organises events including study days and conferences. 1st Floor, Publicity House, Wigston, Leicester LE18 2AJ


Age UK

Age UK provides a comprehensive information and advisory service for older people aged 60 and over. Practical information is offered about paying for residential or nursing home care, helping with enduring powers of attorney, arranging funerals and providing guidance on income tax and similar financial matters. Local offices offer a range of services including information and advice, activities such as day care, lunch clubs, learning opportunities (for example, computer training) and support and personal care at home. A wide variety of different factsheets is available in a range of formats.

Contact the Elderly

Contact the Elderly is a national charity helping people over the age of 75 who live alone and are socially isolated. Small local groups use volunteer drivers who each pick up one or two older people from their own homes. They take them to the home of a volunteer home once a month for Sunday aftenoon tea, conversation and companionship. 15 Henrietta Street Covent Garden London WC2E 8QG

Family Lives

Family Lives is a national charity working with and for parents and their families. It runs a 24 hour confidential helpline for parents as well as an email support service. Other services include parenting groups and workshops, a wide range of information materials and training for professionals support working with families.

LGBT Foundation

The LGBT Foundation is a charity providing a range of services, advice and information.  The charity offers face to face services in Manchester, such as counselling, a befriending scheme, advice surgery, mental health clinic and pop-in service but also has a telephone and email advice service which can be accessed nationally.  The website has information on a whole range of issues which might affect lesbians, gay men and bisexual people. The advice line is staffed from 10am to 10pm and there is an automated system outside these hours.


Mermaids offer support to children and young people who feel at odds with their birth gender. Parents and professionals can also access Mermaids services. Support services include a telephone helpline, on-line forums and residential weekends.


The NSPCC aims to end cruelty to children. It has 177 community-based projects and runs the Child Protection Helpline and ChildLine in the UK and the Channel Islands.

Stand Alone

Stand Alone offers support services to adults that are estranged from their family or children. Services include support groups and therapeutic workshops, support for students having difficulties with student finance and accessing accommodation over the summer period and information about adult foster families.


The Age and Employment Network (TAEN)

TAEN is an independent not-for-profit organisation. Their website provides guides on different aspects of legislation as they relate to employment, training, retirement and pensions, how to make a claim and redress.


Student Minds

The UK’s student mental health charity empowering students and members of the university community to look after their own mental health, support others and create change.

Tax Information

Tax Help for Older People

The Tax Help for Older People service gives free independent advice to anybody over the age of 60 with an income of less than £20,000 per year. If you are caring for an older person who fits the eligibility criteria you can also use this service. This advice is for personal tax queries only, they do not  deal with issues such as inheritance or capital gains tax. You can contact them by telephone, email or by post: Tax Help for Older People Unit 10, Pineapple Business Park Salway Ash Bridport Dorset DT6 5DB In some instances an interview with one of their advisers can be arranged.


TaxAid is a charity that gives free independent advice to people on low incomes about their tax affairs.  You can deal with them directly in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle or via a video-conferencing system in Bristol, Plymouth, Sheffield and Stoke.  Alternatively TaxAid runs a national telephone helpline and they can also give advice by email. The helpline is available between 10:00 am and 12:00 am Monday to Friday.


Aanchal Women’s Aid

Aanchal provide support to Asian women who have been subjected to domestic abuse. Their services include a telephone helpline, referral to a safe house, counselling and legal advice.

Action on Elder Abuse (AEA)

Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) is a charitable group that focuses on the issue of elder abuse. They provide information, advice and support to victims and others who are concerned about or have witnessed abuse.

Broken Rainbow UK

Broken Rainbow UK provides a Domestic Violence Helpline to all members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) communities. Their helpline is staffed by trained LGBT people and they can also support the family and friends of the victim.

ManKind Initiative

The ManKind Initiative is a national charity that provides help and support for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence. Their services include referrals to safe houses and a telephone helpline manned by trained advisers who can give information on all aspects of domestic violence.

Men’s Advice Line

The Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline for all men experiencing domestic violence by a current or ex-partner, whether a heterosexual or same-sex relationship. A range of information is available on the website, including a booklet specifically for men experiencing domestic violence.

Rape Crisis

This organisation aims to provide the basic information which survivors of sexual violence, their friends and family need in order to access the appropriate services, including information on choice, legal advice, reporting to the police and court procedures.


Refuge campaigns to end domestic violence. With Women’s Aid, it provides a 24-hour national domestic violence freephone helpline giving practical advice and emotional support to women experiencing domestic violence. It runs a network of safe houses offering women emergency accommodation. It also offers specialist services for women from a range of cultural backgrounds.

Victim Support

Victim Support is the national charity which helps people to cope with crime. It offers practical help and emotional support to anyone who has been affected by crime, including people who are called to give evidence in court. The service is totally free and confidential.