Why not Bake it Green!
A green themed bake sale is such a fun and easy way to raise money for Pharmacist Support why not bake our yummy Lime Drizzle Cake, take it to work and get your colleagues to donate £2 per slice!
Prep time 20 minutes, Cooking time 40 mins plus cooling
Makes 8 servings
115g unsalted butter
115g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
30g poppy seeds
2 lemons, zest and juice
125g self-raising flour sifted
For the lime syrup
100g caster sugar
90g lime juice
For the lime icing
225g icing sugar
1 lime zest and juice
Method – for cake
- Set oven to 180 degree c and grease and line the bottom and sides of a 20cm cake tin with grease proof paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter with the caster sugar until light and creamy. Beat the eggs in and fold in the poppy seeds, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice and sifted flour.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly golden. To see if the cake is fully cooked simply stick a cocktail stick into the middle for 5 seconds. If it comes out clean the cake is cooked. Place it on a rack to cool.
For the lime syrup and icing
- Heat the sugar and lime juice in a pan until the sugar has dissolved.
- While your cake is still warm, make lots of little holes in the top with a cocktail stick and pour your syrup over.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lime zest and juice, stir until smooth.
- When the cake is almost cool, put it on a serving plate and pour the icing carefully over the top. Either pour onto the middle and allow it to disperse down the sides, or create your own design.
You can download our #GoGreen4PS resources to help you promote your bake sale and share your event with friends, family and work colleagues. Click here to order balloons and tablecloths or download our Bunting, posters or collection box.