Help with home improvements

The following agencies can provide help with home improvements.


Foundations is a national body for home improvement agency services and handy-person services in England.

A home improvement agency can help home owners and private sector tenants who are elderly, disabled or on a low income to repair, maintain or adapt their home. They can provide a range of services including advice about the condition of your home, help with work you need carrying out, help identifying financial help to which you may be entitled and help with other additional services, such as a handy-person service.

They can provide details of your local home improvement agency, either via their website, telephone helpline or e-mail.The Foundations website also has information about grants that may be available from other bodies to help with the cost of home improvements.

For further information, contact the Foundations telephone helpline on 0300 124 0315, email, or visit the Foundations website.

Care and Repair Cymru

Care and Repair Cymru can provide information on home improvements and adaptations in Wales. You can contact your local care and repair agency by telephone on: 0300 111 3333 or by email on, or for further information see the Care and Repair Cymru website.

Care and Repair Scotland

Care and Repair Scotland can provide advice and assistance to enable people in Scotland to repair, adapt or improve their homes. For further information, call Care and Repair Scotland on 0141 221 9879, or see the Care and Repair Scotland website.

Disabled facilities grant

If you or someone living in your household is disabled, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant from the local authority to help with the cost of adaptations, for example, to install a stair lift, improve access to your home or improve a heating system. You can find out more information about this facility on the website.

Local Authority Help

Some local authorities may also offer other assistance to help with home improvements, for example, low cost loans or grants. Contact the environmental health or housing department to make enquiries. To search for your local council, see the government website.

Other useful information

See our Energy efficiency fact sheet

See our Carers fact sheet

See our Respite care fact sheet

This fact sheet was last reviewed on 11 February 2020.